Saturday, March 28, 2009

1st Appointment

I had my 1st prenatal visit last Wednesday. It was scheduled for 8 am, and thankfully, my sister Katie and niece Catalina spent the night with us (Phillip was out of town) so that I wouldn't have to get Daniel up early and try to get us both ready and to the clinic on time. I didn't get to eat breakfast that morning because they were giving me the glucose test, so I was very hungry as I was driving there! But it actually wasn't as bad as it could have been. I didn't get nauseated or faint or anything like that! My visit consisted of drinking the sugary drink for the glucose test and then waiting an hour before getting my blood drawn. While I was waiting, an RN did some paperwork with me and answered my questions. I found out that I definitely have to have another c-section, which I was prepared for. In my case, they say I had Cephalopelvic Disproportion (CPD) with my last pregnancy, which is the most common reason for doing a cesarean section. This is a condition in which the baby's head is too large or the mother's birth canal is too small to allow normal labor or birth. Again, in my case, I pushed for 2 hours with absolutely nothing happening. Daniel never dropped down and so that's why I ended up having a c-section. Now, with my 2nd pregnancy, I am not even a candidate for a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-sec) because of the problems last time. These are some of the things the RN talked with me about. We also talked about gestational diabetes. I also had this in the last trimester of my last pregnancy, which is why they are testing me early. I am hoping that I don't have it yet. I won't know for another few days or so. Basically, if I don't get a phone call from the clinic saying I have it, then I don't have it! I'd prefer they call me either way, but I guess I'll know for sure when I meet with my doctor Candy Birch at my next appointment 3 weeks from now...

No comments:

Post a Comment