Monday, April 6, 2009

A bit of bad news...

Well, I found out last week that I already have gestational diabetes. My numbers were pretty high over what they should have been. I was also tested to see how long my blood sugar levels had been high (glycated hemoglobin or HbA1c). The amount of A1C in your blood reflects blood sugar control for the past 120 days, or the lifespan of a red blood cell. In my case, my test results were at 5.8%. Normal levels are between 4-6%, so I guess I'm borderline - getting a little too close to abnormal. Anyway, the next step is to get an appointment with the diabetes educator (I had to do this with my last pregnancy too) and start checking my blood sugar levels daily. Fun, fun. I think this is partly why I've been feeling so badly lately - so tired and absolutely no energy (more than just what happens during normal pregnancy). I'm hoping I can control the sugar levels with diet and exercise, but if not, then my doctor will put me on some pills to help control it (at least I won't have to give myself shots!).

No comments:

Post a Comment