Today, I had a doctor's appointment that thoroughly wore me out! It was supposed to be just a normal appt...see the doctor, have a non-stress test on the baby, talk about my blood sugar levels, go home. They did the NST first. Overall the baby's heart rate looked good, but my doctor said that every once in a while the test showed a slight drop in the baby's heart rate (they call it variable decels or decelerations). So, she scheduled me for an impromptu ultrasound to check the amniotic fluid levels (if they are low they can cause the heart rate to drop). Also, she looked at my blood sugar levels and decided to have me start insulin injections (I was prepared for this so that wasn't much of a shock). Anyway, I went over to another part of the hospital to have my ultrasound. That whole part of it, including waiting, took about an hour. Then I went back over to the women's clinic to talk to my doctor about the ultrasound and the insulin injections. I had to wait about 30 minutes before I got to see my doctor again since she was on lunch (which I had yet to eat and was very hungry!). We talked about the ultrasound which showed my fluid levels at 8.9, whatever that means. I asked her what she would like them to be and she said above 10 at least. So, the fluid levels were a bit lower than she would have liked. Basically, she said we would just have to continue to monitor the fluids each week and if they continue to be too low, then I may have to have the baby even earlier than planned (right now, I'm already scheduled to have a c-section a week before my due date - Nov. 6th). I asked her what I could do to help my fluid levels, and she said not much. Basically, just drink lots of water and try to keep from getting too hot or dehydrated. As far as the insulin injections, I have an appointment tomorrow morning with the diabetes educator to learn how to give them to myself. Fun, fun.
After my 3-hour doctor's visit, I went to my mom's to pick up Daniel. First I did a little research online to see what else I could find out about low fluid levels in pregnancy. In short, what I found out was that having lower fluid levels in the 3rd trimester is not as serious as having it in the 1st or 2nd trimesters where it could cause birth defects. If the levels fall under 5 cm (mine was 8.9) then it's also more serious and I would definitely have to have an early c-section. Possible causes: rupture or tear in the membrame; pregnancy complications such as high blood pressure, preeclampsia or diabetes (that's me, although my doctor said she usually sees diabetes pregnancies with fluid levels that are too high rather than too low, so I'm not sure why the inconsistancy in what she said and what the online research said); possible kidney problems with the baby (he can't create the fluids properly which is mostly fetal urine). I'm hoping it somehow has to do with my diabetes. The other reasons sound much more serious. Anyway, I'm thankful my doctor will be on top of this with the weekly NSTs and another ultrasound scheduled for next Monday. I'm trying not to worry about this too much, although I am concerned for my baby's safety and health. I feel him moving all the time so I think, surely he's fine. But it's hard not to worry...need lots of prayer concerning this matter. If I do have to have him even earlier, I'm concerned about his lungs being fully developed, among other things.
Tomorrow morning I learn how to give myself insulin injections. That will be a bit of an adjustment mentally, but I know I can do it. I picked everything up at the pharmacy on my way home this afternoon, and it cost $90, something I was not prepared for! I'm glad I will only have to do these injections for 7 weeks (maybe even less), but I am concerned with the possibility of getting type 2 diabetes after my pregnancy. I really am going to have to completely change my diet: less carbs, more protein. I hate protein and love carbs so that is going to be a huge deal for me! It's been hard enough dealing with this during my pregnancy. I just can't imagine dealing with this disease for the rest of my life. God give me grace and peace!!
Monday, September 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment